Friday, February 26, 2010

Weekly Image 02/19/20




I choose this image of a poster for the movie "The Book of Eli" for several reasons. I have just recently seen the movie and I thought it had interesting ideas relating to our class. In the movie, Denzel Washington's charcter, Eli, is the only man left on earth with a copy of the Christian Bible. He is almost killed for it. It is a post-apocolyptic earth without law or government. People value books the way they did before the printing press. This movie represented a world that was the opposite of the Renaissance period. Only a few people were literate. These people held great power over the rest. Also, many people were now blind. I thought this was interesting to think about. The Renaissance gave power to more people. People were no longer "in the dark" about ideas. This movie made me think about how different our world would be if all of a sudden books vanished.I think the movie was right in showing the power books have in society. It just makes the renaissance that much more amazing. Religion began to lose it's power during this time. Before the church controlled everything, but now people were able to have their own individual thoughts. The movie poster says " Religion is power" but to go further it is the knowledge of religion or any type of information that is powerful. I think we might take for granted how much knowledge can be easily accessed by the computer. All my papers and projects are stored on my computer. If my computer were to crash and I hadn't saved my information on a external hard drive I would be without power. The person who had power would be someone who had the information I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment